Skip to product information
1 of 1

San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG

San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG

Red | 2020 | Italy, Tuscany | 13.5%

Seamlessly combines plush generous fruit with a traditional style and structure.
Regular price £22.40
Regular price Sale price £22.40
Sale Out of stock

A nose of redcurrants and blackberries with savoury tobacco notes. The textured palate has dense rich fruit with layers of black cherry, bramble and spice. A fine and complex red with juicy acidity balancing supple tannins, and well-integrated oak giving a long and savoury finish.

Product Details

Type Red
Origin Italy, Tuscany
Vintage 2020
Size 0.75 l
ABV 13.5%
Grape Sangiovese
Viticulture Sustainable
Sulphite Content Contains Sulphites
Closure Cork

Production Notes

Il Grigio is made from a selection of the best Sangiovese grapes from the Chianti Classico vineyards on the San Felice estate near Siena. The vineyards are at 350/400m altitude, with mostly limestone and loam soils. The must is fermented on the skins for 18-20 days at 28-30 degrees C. This is followed by malolactic fermentation in stainless steel vats. 80% of the wine is matured in Slavonian oak botte (60/90 Hl) for 18-24 months, while the remaining 20% is aged in French oak barriques. The wine then spends 6 months in bottle.

Producer Information

An outstanding Tuscan winery who have pioneered key developments in the Chianti Classico region for the last 40 years.

Based in Castelnuovo Berardenga, around 30 miles south-east of Florence and at the southern end of the Chianti Classico zone, this reputable estate includes 140 hectares of vineyard, a cellar, around 17,000 olive trees, and a village with a prestigious hotel complex. San Felice have had a strong presence in the Chianti Classico region for 40 years. Winemaker Leonardo Bellaccini crafts a portfolio of wines which is highly regarded and multi award-winning - classic expressions of high quality Sangiovese.

This is a pioneering winery - producing the fore-runner to the Supertuscans, Vigorello (the first wine in the Chianti Classico region roduced using solely red grapes) in the late 1960s. This was followed by the introduction of Poggio Rosso in the 1970's (a first example of a Chianti Classico 'Cru'), and then their partnership with the Universities of Florence and Pisa in the 1980s. At a time when other estates were focusing on international varieties, this partnership lead to the development of their Vitiarium, or experimental vineyard, where they have cultivated and studied indigenous grape varieties (such as Pugnitello) for over 30 years. They were also amongst the first Chianti Classico estates to produce a 'Gran Selezione' wine - a new classification introduced as the top quality tier for wines in the region - with the inaugural 2010 vintage.

San Felice lies adjacent to its sister property, Villa la Pagliaia, and has additional estates: Campogiovanni in Montalcino, and Perolla in Maremma.

View full details